06 June 2010

@flexnib's Day 6 Meme


Do you snack while reading?
Sometimes, but not as a habit.

What is your favourite drink while reading?

I don't normally drink while reading, but either espresso coffee or juice I suppose.

Do you tend to mark your books while you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?

The idea of writing in books horrifies me.

How do you keep your place? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book open flat?

A bookmark if I can find one or any old bit of paper that I can get my hands on.
Fiction, non-fiction or both?

Both.

Do you tend to read to the end of a chapter or can you stop anywhere?

Depends on the book. I found Shackelton's
Endurance very had to put down mid-chapter because I didn't want to leave the men on some awful island under a boat.
Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?
No.
If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?
If I'm near my laptop I'd look it up.

What are you currently reading?

Beneath Hill 60 by Will Davies, Men I might have known by Brad Saunders and City Boy by Edmund White. I am making very slow progress on all three, but at least I'm carrying the first one around now. Usually they sit beside my bed protecting me from invaders and vampires at night.
What is the last book you bought?

Probably that series of three books by Stieg Larsson with the first being
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
Do you have a favourite time/place to read?

Bed or my arm chair.

Do you prefer series books or stand-alones?

Neither, see above as both are mentioned.
Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?

Yes, these authors: John Le Carre, Robert Ludlum, Len Deighton, Alan Hollinghurst, Evelyn Waugh, Edmund White and John Mortimer.

How do you organize your books (by genre, title, author’s last name, etc.)?

Subject areas and a bit by value I suppose. The better books are all downstairs in the better bookcase. The crappy books are also downstairs, but they're in boxes under the stairs. The rest are wherever they can fit in the bedrooms upstairs.
Barbara’s additional question: background noise or silence?
Doesn't matter.

Moonflowerdragon's additional questions:

How often do you even open a meme post by someone else?

Not very.

About how much of that post would you really READ rather than scan?

About 70-80% I suppose.
It depends on how interesting it is.

6 comments:

Penny said...

I understand garlic is quite good against vampires too. ;P

Unknown said...

Nooooo! I have it on reliable authority from a real vampire (in either True Blood, Twilight [1 or 2] or the Vampire Diaries) that the garlic thing is just a myth.

The Empty Nest said...

My last book purchase was also the Steig Larsson trilogy - which I really enjoyed reading

Unknown said...

OK, so I now have to tell you about this purchase. I went down to Norton St cinemas for the French film festival and we saw two god films. During the break (or maybe after the second film) I went into Shearer's books and took all four Larsson books to the counter to make a purchase. The wonderful woman serving politely pointed out that he had written only three books and I had managed to find two versions of his first book. Awkward moment for a librarian followed.

restructuregirl said...

It's so funny. I know you online as such a rebel and then I learn contrary aspects of your personality "the idea of writing in books horrifies me".
So then I thought about it. And I decided you're still a rebel. You're just constrained by your compulsive cleaning obsession side in reagrds to book writing.

Unknown said...

Yes. Of course. And I am not a rebel. I am actually very well behaved.Once I even had a very high security clearance.
*blows raspberry*